Semen Lost at Sea...

Sunday, September 12, 2004

Native American Dreams

Last Night I had a dream that I had adopted a Native American child. In the dream, it was actually a little boy and I remember questioning in the dream whether we were to name him ourselves (we actually though about a name... I remember it being something like "walks with feather"), or whether he should take on the name that his parents left him with. All of this leaves me with a question, although it's probably stupid...pre-adopted children: Are they referred to as some birth-given name, or are they not given names at all when handed over to adoption agencies, or do the agencies themselves name them? Or are they referenced by case file # or by the parent's names? Just a curiousity.

I understand why I dreamed had a dream on Native Americans - it's because I picked up an awesome magazine at the new-age store called "Sacred Hoop" - a magazine about modern-day shaminism, tools, etc. It's an amazing mag and I would really like to collect the funds together to purchase the entire set (all 45 or so issues). Maybe I'll check e-bay to see if I can get it on the cheap.

So, I had this interesting dream and today, while catching up with my wife on the details of our house situation, she said it was strange because she was just online yesterday looking up Native American Adoptions... cool stuff!

My search has now begun looking for a child of native descent - what's involved, what agencies support it, etc. It would be really cool if we adopted a child of Cherokee descent, since my wife has Cherokee blood in her too. As an added bonus, I have recently in the past 3 years become very interested in native cultures: their ceremonies, medicine, & spiritual side. Maybe I'm really a recent 'walk-in' of native ancestry...

Well, like God sending us a message with an offer on our building, maybe this is a sign as well - something that we're both looking into!

2 Comments:

  • For us, the kids were already named before they arrived, since they were removed from their parents through the state foster care system. We've always kept their names (it doesn't seem right to change the name after they are used to it) but that isn't the same thing as having a tiny baby.

    Regarding Native Americans, be sure to research as much as you can. I have never had one as a foster child, although we came close once - the tribal council overruled the state on that one. It's a whole different can of worms, the main thing (as I understand it) being that they are very protective of their own and concerned that fostering or adopting by outsiders (white people like me, for instance) won't keep the child in touch with his or her roots and culture. Do keep an open mind and don't let anything I say bother you - like I said, just be sure to research it so you aren't surprised by anything that can happen down the road.

    Dreams are neat things...

    By Blogger Silly Old Bear, at 12:52 PM  

  • Hey! Its a Guy blogging about this stuff!
    Wow. More power to you!

    JulieJulie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home